Finca Agricola Geisha
Process : Natural, Washed
Type : Processor / Farmer
Elevation : 1300 m.
Subdistrict : Jaramillo
District : Boquete
Province : Chiriquí
Country : Panama
Prior to 2018, Finca Agricola Geisha only had washed Processed coffee. Since early 2018 a building for natural processing was finished and now natural processed coffee is also available
[ Washed process ]
- The selection process starts in November, when only the ripest cherries are handpicked
- De-pulping is done with a machinery that presses the cherries to separate the pulp from the bean and mucilage.
- Fermentation time varies due to various factors. For Agricola , it takes between 13 to 16 hours ,depending of the thickness of the mucilage and the microclimate in Alto Jaramillo. weather influences too.
- Drying the coffee: Dried naturally under the sun. The coffee is placed on a fine mesh portable wooden stretcher
- The coffee is rotated constantly using specially made wooden artisan rakes so that they dry evenly.
- Drying continues until coffee reaches the ideal optimum humidity level of 11.5% or no lower than 10.5%, which usually takes 40 hours under the sun or the 6 to 8 days. During the drying period, defective coffee beans are removed
- The resting period: when coffee reaches 11.5% - 10.5% humidity, it is packaged in clean bags and kept at a room temperature of 18-20 degrees Celsius, with a strict humidity controls and controls against plagues, for 30-60 days.
- The hulling: we proceed to remove the parchment, which can be used as fertilizer and compost base later.
- Selection: the final selection is done with the purpose of removing defective beans that are not spotted in prior steps.